On 21st September 1955 the bedrock was laid with the hands of le. General Maharaja Digvijaysinh Jadeja. The college started functioning in 1956. The name Surendranagar was conferred after the independence of India. Before that the area was known as Wadhawan Camp. At that time Halwad, Wankaner, Dhangdhra, Botad, Ranpur etc. were not facilitated with higher education, so the efforts of both the contributors are highly appreciable.
At the time Surendranagar was extended among the boundaries of Juna gate fatak, Sarwoday fatak and Jawahar fatak. The area was known as the British Camp. Even one could see the building of the college clearly from the Gate -Fatak, through the farms and fields which were lying in between. For transportation a private tram service was run between Surendranagar and Wadhwan which soon made road popularly known as ‘college road ‘. The old S.T. bus-stand was on the place where the present Mega Mall is situated. The noble donor Sh. Meghji Pethraj donated for the building and the college was named after him. Later on the government undertook the control and it has become one of the most outstanding government colleges of Gujarat. Since the time of its commencement the college has been providing an ample opportunity for higher education to the students reside in nearby areas. A versatile genius Dr. M. M. Parekh was the first Principal of the college. He was an adroit manager, knowledgeable professor of Chemistry known for his honest, hardworking and humble nature. Becoming a lighthouse he always showed the right path to the generation to come. It is the significant contribution of Dr. M. M. Parekh that the institution has become a second education hub in Saurashtra region after Rajkot..